Week 4
This week Dr. Spector's lab and the immersion students discussed the feasibility of 3D printing constructs using polycaprolactone (PCL). After discussing the pros and cons, we decided that it would be best to purchase a low-cost 3D printer that will be exclusively for PCL prints. The printer will arrive next week, so I will help with assembling it and testing out the PCL prints.
In other news, there was one surgery that stood out to me this week. This operation involved cleaning out a surgical site that was draining more than expected. Believing it to be infected, the sutures were removed and the tissue was excessively cleaned. Several tissue samples were taken to determine what caused the infection. In addition, two antibacterials from a company called Biocomposites were mixed together and formed into a paste. This paste was then spread into a mold and was left to dry for several minutes. When needed, the antibacterials were removed from the mold, making gumdrops approximately 1 cm in diameter. These antibacterial gumdrops were inserted into the cleaned wound as the last step before closing the site once again. It was interesting to watch something being made and prepared during the surgery for the patient. Upon asking later, I also learned that specific combinations of the two antibiotics will impact the rate of degradation for the gumdrops as well as how it interacts with the surrounding healthy tissue.
Similar to last week, I haven't been in the lab as much as I would like. I have high hopes that the introduction of the new 3D printer and experimentation with PCL will give me more opportunities to do research not only in Dr. Spector's lab, but also will help me later on when I return to Ithaca.
Comments
Post a Comment