Week 1

For my first week of immersion I attended the OR's of a few different physicians as my clinical mentor Dr. Jason Spector of plastic surgery and reconstruction was on vacation this week. I was able to see three different hernia repairs, and one double mastectomy and bilateral DIEP flap. 

I think my favorite thing I saw was the double mastectomy and bilateral DIEP flap. From what I understand, this is a procedure in which both breasts were removed and fat from the stomach is used to reconstruct the breasts. The novelty of the DIEP flap is that it does not require the removal of muscle which allows patients to recover quicker. Additionally, blood vessels from the fat in the stomach are left in tact and "hooked up" to corresponding vessels in the breast. All in all, the procedure essentially amounted to a breast reconstruction and tummy tuck. It was a 10 hour surgery that required multiple doctors and departments, as this was not just a purely cosmetic procedure- the patient had metastatic breast cancer. The OR room was large and filled with many different medical professionals, but the thing that stuck out to me the most was that of the maybe 10-15 people in the room for the majority of the surgery that I saw, all of them were women. 

I really enjoyed the "behind the scenes" view of surgery- there were quite a few things that surprised me or things that I didn't expect or just hadn't really thought about. For example, everything has to be counted and inventoried to make sure that nothing is left in the patient. Of course in hindsight this makes a great deal of sense, but it was not something I had thought of as being important in the OR. I'm excited to see some more surgeries next week with Dr. Spector and spend some more time in the lab. Everyone that I've met has been incredibly friendly, helpful and kind and I'm very appreciative of all the Weill Cornell NYP students, physicians, nurses, staff, etc that I have met and that have made my first week a very informative and welcoming experience. Beyond my experiences with the hospital and clinical side of things, I am very much enjoying NYC- more than I expected honestly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 - Samantha Bratcher

Week One - Shenghao Tan