Week 4 - Robert Hawkins
Clinical - This week was another slower week as a couple more cognitive assessments took place, but the participant declined to have students observe. However, tomorrow morning I will be able to observe the cognitive assessment of a subject with Alzheimer's disease who is currently participating in a Phase 2 clinical trial for a potential new therapeutic targeted towards women with mild cognitive impairment or Alzheimer's disease. I look forward to seeing how this assessment goes and am curious to learn if there has been any change since their last assessment.
Research - I have continued working with R and a national Alzheimer's database, which has been going well. I have been able to find some interesting relationships between neutrophils/neutrophil adhesion and biomarkers for Alzheimer's disease, but unfortunately many of these relationships have already been reported. This week, I was also able to join Austin in Dr. Schwartz's lab to watch the implantation of a PDMS cranial window into a mouse, which we have been trying to do in our lab back in Ithaca but have been running into problems. We were able to learn how their methods differ slightly from ours and I think we will be able to fix the problems we were having.
Life - It feels like each week has gone faster than the last and it is hard to believe we only have two weeks left! Last weekend, a few of us went to a couple breweries in Brooklyn and then walked to Dumbo, which are both very nice areas, and also got some good food at a couple different Italian restaurants. Overall, I have liked the city a lot but it will be nice to get back to Ithaca!
Comments
Post a Comment