Week 4- Rachel Yerden

 

This week I began a research project working to develop a device for the injection of collagen and stem cells into the annular defect created during microdiscectomies. I have taken measurements during three microdiscectomies this week and created a protocol for collecting this data in the future. This data will provide us with information on the cannula length and diameter necessary. I also compiled a database of past measurements of annular defects. This will allow us to assess the volume of collagen needed for the injection to be successful. Additionally, I have met with individuals with experience in comparable device development and read past patents and journal articles regarding this topic. I hope to continue this research when I return to Ithaca as a complement to my current research on collagen injections. In addition to shadowing Dr. Hartl in the OR, I have observed surgeries performed by Dr. Steig, Dr. Riew, Dr. Zuckerman, and Dr. Spector. Outside of the clinic, I have been sightseeing at the George Washington bridge, Randall's Island, and the Highline. I also drove a car from the Bronx to Brooklyn without hitting any pedestrians.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1

Week 1 - Samantha Bratcher

Week One - Shenghao Tan