Week 3- Rachel Yerden
Alikhan and I started out this week watching fireworks from Dr. Hartl's 40th floor penthouse. We got to meet residents and attendings from neurosurgery as well as individuals from the community who are connected with Dr. Hartl. Attached is a photo we took during the party. During the week, I shadowed several surgeries. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday I attended the Spine Conference. It's a multi-institutional meeting held between orthopedic surgeons, neurosurgeons, and radiologists to determine the best treatment methods for complicated cases. It's been extremely informative. Tuesday, I had a meeting with individuals in Tanzania, Canada, and Germany to learn about their research and teach them about mine. My research has included the development of a syringe system for injecting collagen into discectomy patients, which I take measurements for when I am in the OR. Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, I shadowed multiple surgeries and shadowed within radiology. Wednesday, I watched a shunt insertion, a pediatric shunt extraction, and a percutaneous spinal fusion. Thursday, I shadowed two laminectomies, a TLIF, and an craniotomy with electrode stimulation. Today, I got an IRB approved for utilizing discs from the discectomy patients for co-culture with stem cells. I am now working to begin moving this research forward.
Comments
Post a Comment