Week 3 - Juan Boza: Busy Is Just a Flavor!
Busy is just a Flavor!
What a week, wouldn't you agree? Between the steep learning curve, the patient interactions, and research, time management was key. For me, week 3 came with a different flavor, a busy one. The reason for this is that before, I was learning about the dynamics of the clinical setting, the details of my project, and adapting to my new routine - just trying not to f*** up! Now, I am no longer in observer mode but in helper mode. I talk to patients, ask questions, and even provide preliminary diagnoses. Like I said, busy flavor!
![]() |
Fig 1. The classical case of melanonychia. Brown/black band on the nail extending from the nail matrix to the distal end. |
Like last week, the learning curve was kind of steep. There are so many nail conditions and so little time! So, for this week's nail condition edition - let's focus on melanonychia. This condition is characterized by a brown/black band from the nail matrix to the distal end of the nail plate (Fig. 1). The differential diagnosis for this condition is essential as it can be confused with hematomas, fungus or bacterial pigments, melanocytic activation, and malignant melanomas. Hence, depending on the band's appearance, the dermatologist may consider performing a biopsy (which I already explained is a traumatic experience). To analyze the appearance of the band, dermatologists use the ABCDEF criteria - A for age, B for band width > 3 mm, C for change over time, D for digits (which finger/s), E for extension (Hutchinson sign), and F for family/personal history. Note that a dermatoscope is needed to perform accurate quantification of these traits. Some important aspects of this criteria are that individuals with bands on multiple fingers are less likely to have melanoma and bands that have been stable for several years (no change).
Well, I hope your week was as good as mine. See ya' next time!

Comments
Post a Comment