Week 3 - Erica Wagner

During my third week of clinical immersion, I continued shadowing Dr. Chandwani for in patient rounds where we visited patients both pre- and post-surgery. This time I was able to focus more on the patient interactions and the team caring for each patient. I found it interesting that there was a social worker on the team who helped with setting up payment plans and ensured patients would be returning to a safe environment to continue healing. There were also other minor details that I noticed that stressed how much the clinicians at Weill Cornell value the all-around care of the patient, more than simply completing the surgery and then sending them home. The team would not release a patient until they could easily climb up four flights of stairs since they lived in a 4th floor apartment. Another patient was able to pick their day of release as one option coincided with their religious holiday. For another patient, they taught the spouse how to unpack and repack the wound site so that no at home nurse would be required since this was not covered by their insurance. While these might seem like small actions, it really emphasized the patient care to me. Patients were not treated like another case, they were viewed and cared for as individuals with a personalized treatment plan for each.

In Dr. Chen’s lab, I have started a total of 4 beta cell differentiation (one each time I split cells). I am also nearly finished sectioning the COVID infected pancreatic islets and will then move onto immunostaining these samples and sectioning lung organoids. Another project that I am starting is characterization of cerebral organoids of knockout and wildtype stem cell lines. This project is to understand the role of circadian rhythm genes on the development of cerebral organoids. I am looking forward to imaging the samples I have been prepping by the end of next week.

In my free time, I visited The Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Statue of Liberty, and Ellis Island. The MET was much bigger than I expected so I spent most of my time at the Roman, Greek, and Egypt exhibits. The Statue of Liberty was amazing to see in person and I bought way too many souvenirs at the islands. I also enjoyed the fireworks on July 4th at FDR drive.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1

Week 1 - Samantha Bratcher

Week One - Shenghao Tan