Week 3 - Austin Bunce

 Clinical:

    This week I didn't spend as much time in the OR.  I spent Thursday in the OR and got to see the intracranial tumor removal near the motor cortex with awake brain mapping on the patient that I saw last week in clinic.  This was a surgery that I knew about before coming to Weill and I was really excited to see it.  Most of the surgery was very similar to most of the intracranial tumor removals that I've seen.  The super interesting part was when they woke up the patient while they had access to her brain and mapped her motor function to the areas of her brain.  After working with electrophysiology in my research lab, it was really interesting to see the live ECOG data from the patient and how they used it to decide where to resect.  

    Many other students in the immersion program have heard about the surgeries I have been seeing and have asked to come along.  Next week I am hoping to go to the OR with two different colleagues so that they can see some of these surgeries.  

Research:

    This week was a really good week for my research in Dr. Schwartz's lab.  I finished up all of the necessary parts of the matlab APP to run the wide field calcium imaging setup.  I even had time to add some improvements to the previous setup.  I am hoping to add a few more things to the code but my first project in the lab is pretty much wrapped up.  

    I was also given my first set of seizure EEG data from the lab, so now I can start working on my next project.  This project will involve finding a quantitative way to classify seizures from this data.  My first goal is to read up on seizure classification metrics in literature and then try to implement some simple measures to start.  I am thinking down the road I will try to implement some machine learning if I get enough data, but for now I will just try some simple metrics.  

NYC:

    I was away from the city until Monday night to begin this week.  I went to spend the 4th of July at a friends lake house in New Hampshire where I got to see my fiancé and my puppy for the weekend.  It was good to see them and it was a nice break from the city.  The week went fast and I spent Tuesday and Thursday night watching the Milwaukee Bucks NBA finals games (which I don't want to talk about) down in the student lounge.  On Wednesday night a group of us went to Queens to eat at Riko Peruvian Cuisine, and tonight I am going to Toni Di Napoli with another group.  I hope it cools down a bit in the city over the next week and I am looking forward to going to the Guggenheim museum and checking out some more of NY this weekend.   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1

Week 1 - Samantha Bratcher

Week One - Shenghao Tan