Week 2 - Alikhan Fidai


This week, Dr. Härtl is back at Weill. I got to shadow while he performed a transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion (TLIF), a triple decompressive laminectomy, and a laminoplasty. I also joined him while he did patient consultations at the Brain and Spine Center. It was great interacting with patients and watching him communicate what he was doing in a way that was easy to follow. Next week, I will be shadowing Dr. Virk on additional spine surgeries. Shadowing these procedures and interpreting medical images/scans in the operating room has given me a deeper understanding of the spine research I do in Ithaca. I can now look at MRI scans and notice spinal stenosis or disc degeneration in a patient. 

Additionally, I have been reading papers and adding them to a database for a review I am working on in the Bonassar lab. Familiarizing myself with the literature in my field while also gaining clinical experience via shadowing has been a wonderful learning opportunity. 

Aside from research, I have been enjoying myself in the city. I went to Brooklyn with several folks from my cohort. I also checked out an awesome rooftop bar with a few friends over the weekend. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1

Week 1 - Samantha Bratcher

Week One - Shenghao Tan