Immersion Week 2 - Rena
I began my second week of immersion continuing work on a project concerning right ventricular strain in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and echocardiography. The two modalities undergo different processes of image acquisition and processing, which may lead to differences between modalities and a more accurate measurement in one or the other. The study involved strain analysis on Cornell/Medviso software and beginning statistical analysis in SPSS. Dr. Kim and I hope to submit a paper within the coming weeks, which is very exciting!
Concerning procedures, I watched a transfemoral Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) this week. The patient had a calcified aortic valve which needed an artificial replacement. However, the patient also demonstrated calcification in the femoral arteries, which were the entry point of the catheters. Therefore, the doctors, nurses, and technology representatives utilized "Shock Wave," an intravascular lithotripsy device. The device is composed of a catheter with a transducer at its head which uses ultrasound to loosen the calcified layer in the vessels. Once the calcification is disturbed or "cracked," the vessel can expand enough to fit the thicker catheter with the valve replacement. The replacement valve was placed on a balloon which inflated when positioned at the correct position (the doctors actually inflated the balloon twice to improve the fit and reduce the regurgitation).
Additionally, I was able to watch the first patient enrolled in Dr. Kim's study assessing cardiac function in COVID patients. The MRI was very interesting, with many angles and processes to go through (including Quantitative Susceptibility Mapping) during a limited time (the patient was typically continuously attached to an IV with medication). I am excited to continue observing this study, and the many more which are starting in Dr. Kim's and Dr. Weinsaft's lab.
While the rain has put a little bit of a damper on this week's activities, I was fortunate to visit Smorgasburg, go to trivia, and keep eating delicious food!
Comments
Post a Comment