Week 1- Rachel Yerden

With my mentor, Dr. Hartl, gone this week, I had ample opportunity to spend time meeting and learning about physicians of various professions. I spent one day shadowing in gynecologic oncology. I primarily shadowed Dr. Holcomb, who is not only a fantastic surgeon, but also the Dean of Admissions. He was great. Though he taught me many specific details about the procedures we were performing, he also taught me about the layout of the OR, the general procedures for laparoscopic and robot-assisted surgeries, and proper conduct in the OR. I spent another day shadowing a couple surgeries in neurosurgery. There, I was able to shadow Dr. Schwartz, Dr. Ellozy, and Dr. Fu. Equally importantly, I was able learn my way around the hospital and college and complete necessary administrative duties. I now have the surgical schedules, building/ equipment access, and physician connections necessary to make my remaining weeks productive and exciting. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1

Week 1 - Samantha Bratcher

Week One - Shenghao Tan