Week 1 - Nada Naguib

 Week 1 has been great and has flown by very quickly. I met with my clinical mentor Dr. Babacar Cisse who is in the neurosurgery department at Weill Cornell. Both Dr. Cisse as well as his assistant Sandra helped me set up in the office and gave me a workspace and computer that I can use for the next six weeks and I'm super grateful for all their help! On Monday I prepared a short presentation on my research and the nanoparticles that my lab at Cornell works on (C'dots). Throughout my presentation I discussed both perviously published work as well as my current project in Ithaca. Later in the week, I plated both human and mouse glioblastoma cell lines and incubated them with C'dots that I had brought with me from our lab in Ithaca. This is part of the preliminary work that Dr. Cisse is eager to explore as part of a potential collaboration between my lab (Wiesner Group) and his research group at Weill. With the help of the postdocs in the lab, I was able to get familiar with the lab space and equipment. 

On Thursday, I shadowed Dr. Cisse during his outpatient clinic where I was able to look at MRI imaging and test results before meeting patients. Throughout the day it became clear to me that a large part of the clinical experience relies on interpersonal relationships and people skills. Seeing as most of Dr. Cisse's patients suffer from a type of neurological growth or dysfunction, watching him communicate effectively and address all their concerns was incredibly eye-opening. Overall, a great first week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1

Week 1 - Samantha Bratcher

Week One - Shenghao Tan