Rich Hoff Immersion Week 1

Over the course of this week, I did some labwork in Dr. Ethel Cesarman's lab in the Pathology Department. She has been collaborating with my PI, Dr. David Erickson, on developing a device called TINY (Tiny Isothermal Nucleic acid quantification sYstem) for the point-of-care detection of Kaposi sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV) that can also be utilized in resource-limited settings where KS is more prevalent, access to sources of electrical power, especially in the field, is challenging, and power outages occur often. It performs nucleic acid quantification through a loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) reaction. During this past week, I learned how to process skin biopsies acquired from KS patients in sub-Saharan Africa and perform DNA extraction. I also quantified the concentration of the final nucleotide sample extracted from each biopsy. In total for this week, I processed 29 skin biopsies, extracted their DNA, and quantified the concentration of the nucleotide sample. Next week will be more eventful as the lab has been preoccupied with virtual conferences and new technicians will be joining the lab. Next week I will be doing qPCR of my DNA samples. A problem that has been occurring with the TINY is that some negative controls and KSHV-negative samples have been amplifying. The LAMP reaction conditions may need to be refined to prevent these false positives. One of my goals during Immersion will be aiding in the troubleshooting of this amplification problem. I met with Dr. Cesarman on Tuesday and she said that in addition to TINY troubleshooting, I can do image analysis and we can discuss other labwork. She also said that she can arrange to have me shadow different clinicians in the Pathology Department.


See the reference below for more details about the development of the TINY:
Snodgrass, R., Gardner, A., Semeere, A., Kopparthy, V. L., Duru, J., Maurer, T., ... & Erickson, D. (2018). A portable device for nucleic acid quantification powered by sunlight, a flame or electricity. Nature biomedical engineering2(9), 657-665.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1

Week 1 - Samantha Bratcher

Week One - Shenghao Tan