Immersion Week 1 - Rena

     My first week with my clinical mentor Dr. Jiwon Kim of the Cardiology Department has flown by. Concerning research, I am conducting strain analysis on the right ventricular free and septal walls in hopes of finding a relationship with incidence of different cardiomyopathies. I received my first dataset on Tuesday and have been able to process 100+ images. I have also been introduced to SPSS, where I will continue to perform analyses throughout Immersion. My clinical mentor has also taught me the basics of reading cardiac MRI images - how to analyze stroke volume, important factors to look for in short versus long axis images, etc. A new study is beginning next week that studies the effect of COVID-19 on heart function and I look forward to attending the MRI and Echo imaging sessions with patients. Additionally, I am excited to watch revascularization surgeries in the Cardiology department in the upcoming weeks.     

    As an incoming student (and one with limited clinical experience), the past week has been a wonderful start to my journey at Cornell. I have had a wonderful time meeting PhD students, medical students, post-docs, and clinicians. I have also had time to visit Central Park, K-town, and Chinatown, go shopping, and eat plenty of delicious food, which is a huge bonus!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1

Week 1 - Samantha Bratcher

Week One - Shenghao Tan